Monday, April 21, 2008

Kinky King Latex

Well, it's been a week, and there's been no reply to my direct email from the Bambi camp. I guess my version of the story was correct after all and that's unfortunate. But hey -- if I'd done anything wrong, I might feel sorry about the situation, but I really can't say I regret anything I said or feel I was mistaken in posting my opinion, so...well, that's that. I don't really think I need to say more; actions have spoken louder than any of my words.

I've ordered some commissions from inflation artists (without those two subscriptions, I do get some money back in my pocket, which I'd still like to spread around the community) and I'm very curious to see what Taylor comes up with; like it or not, the inflatable fetish video production community just doubled. I'm looking forward to the day when it triples or quadruples. I still maintain that more options and high quality from every content producer is a good thing, both for the community and for the people who stand to make profit off their creative efforts serving that community. The internet is a meritocracy; good content wins, plain and simple, and there can be multiple winners. I think it was only a matter of time before more people noticed we existed, so to all those new creators, I say, hello and welcome. There's room for everybody here.

One such new face: Kinky King Latex. The owner of kinkykinglatex.com dropped me a link to request a link from my main website. I don't even have AOL installed any more -- my original page there is basically a static billboard. So I said I'd blog about it instead, and then promptly forgot.

But then I came back around to it from some discussions over at bodyinflation.org, and checked out KKL's YouTube channel, and I have to say...this is pretty smart. First of all, videos are going to show off the products better than stills. Most of the latex online stores show images that are too small to make a good purchasing decision, because large images would simply be downloaded/linked to and the origin forgotten. With YouTube vids, Kinky doesn't even have to pay the hosting fees.

But more than that, by showing clips of the suits out in "the wild" of downtown Chicago -- in mundane places like a bookstore and McDonald's -- it taps into the viral thing. All you need to be is brave and you can stir up a little attention.

I particularly like the incredibly brief video next to the cop car. There's nothing illegal about being in rubber in public -- but it's clearly deviant and pushing a comfort boundary.

I should note that this is not an endorsement of KKL's products; I haven't bought a scrap of stretchy stuff from the store. It's just an endorsement of one guy's clever, cheeky bravery in order to make himself a name and make himself a buck. I really do respect that.

No comments: