Saturday, July 12, 2008

ExpansionStories.com - a positive example

It should be no surprise to hear that I think constructive criticism is the key to, well, just about everything. I try to live it every day in my real-life job as an entertainment critic. Bitching about problems you find in a creative work doesn't help, but identifying and deconstructing those problems in an organized and positive manner truly does offer insight to the creator. The spirit of the criticism has to be true; it's worthless if it's "I hate you so I hate your work." I want to see more people willing to give well-considered feedback to creators who are equally willing to accept it as the positive force it should be.

That's why I'm stoked to see this happening over at ExpansionStories.com. You have to register to download and comment on stories, but I've noticed that the comments are moving beyond the expected "do a part 2" stuff and are starting to address when things went right and how they went wrong in each story. I'm not sure what's fostering this environment but I'm thrilled to see it evolving naturally and I hope it never stops.

Most if not all of my crap is posted on the site, and I still check the comments on my stories there. (Do an author search if that link doesn't take you to a list of my stories.) By all means, chime in with your considered thoughts and keep the good vibes going.

No comments: